- The Unemployed States of America takes readers deep inside the decimated American workforce.
- Shauna Webb Scott is a 32-year-old IT business analyst based in Nashville, Tennessee.
- She was laid off on March 31, just three weeks after finding out she was pregnant. She also lost clients for her small business as a wedding planner as celebrations were canceled or postponed.
- Scott says it’s been difficult trying to find a new position because many employers don’t want to hire someone who will need to take maternity leave in November.
- This is her story, as told to Business Insider.
I found out I was pregnant three weeks prior to losing my position as an IT business analyst. It’s been stressful dealing with pregnancy and losing my sense of occupational purpose along the way. I also own a small business doing wedding coordination and planning, and lost most of my clients due to