Rookie Justin Herbert had no idea he was making his NFL debut until moments before kickoff and nearly beat the reigning champs
- Chargers rookie quarterback Justin Herbert found out just moments before taking the field against the Chiefs that he would be making his first NFL start.
- The Chargers had to change plans quickly after regular starter Tyrod Taylor had to go to the hospital while dealing with chest pain.
- Herbert impressed in his debut, throwing for 311 yards and a touchdown and rushing for another score.
- His one rookie mistake proved costly though, as he passed up an easy first down in favor of forcing a throw across his body that was picked off by the Kansas City defense.
- While the Chargers would lose the game in overtime, Herbert still was pretty impressive for a kid making his first NFL start on a moment’s notice.
Rookie quarterback Justin Herbert was surprised to learn just moments before kickoff that he would be making his first NFL start on Sunday against Patrick Mahomes