I’m a 52-year-old small business owner in Oklahoma who’s been on unemployment since February. Here’s how I’m getting by.
- The Unemployed States of America takes readers deep inside the decimated American workforce.
- Amanda Stephenson is a 52-year-old small business owner from Collinsville, Oklahoma.
- She ran a small business making and selling cheer uniforms and dance costumes, but hasn’t had clients since February, when many local schools and performances were shut down.
- On just $189 a week in unemployment benefits, Stephenson says she’s had to sacrifice filling prescriptions, postponed planned dental work, and has been unable to buy school clothes for her son.
- This is her story, as told to Business Insider.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Since I lost my job, life has been stressful. My husband is still working, but he works for an airline and they’ve indicated layoffs are coming. Before, I’d worked to build up a